Saturday 19 January 2013

Pretty Jelly Bullet Rouge - Review and and Nail Art

Hi everyone!

Hope your Saturday's going well.  I've had a day of biscuits, Dexter, and swatching, so I'm a pretty happy bunny, as you can imagine. 

I'm managing to stick with Detox January, no alcohol so far this year.  Saturday mornings are so much easier this way, I'm starting to wonder whether to stick with this all the time unless I'm going out.  And seeing as I don't go out much AT ALL, that would mean hardly any drink.  Perhaps that's a good thing, as I don't seem to be missing it much.  We'll see, I might change my mind completely on the 1st February haha.

Today I bring you a review of a polish that's part of a set unfortunately not available in the UK.  Luckily for me I have a good friend in the States who sent them to me, a million thanks to Wes at Polish Me Manly

This is an indie line called Pretty Jelly and this holographic collection is called Glamorous Thief.  The first polish I've chosen to swatch is called Bullet Rouge.  The name would make you expect it to be red, and indeed on their website it's described as a magenta-red, but to me it looks more like a slightly muted fuschia, and in some lights a dusky pink. 

It's been an incredibly cloudy and dull day here today, with flakes of snow, not a day to bring out the best in holo's, but here's what it looks like in cloudy daylight.  As you can see, the holo doesn't show so much in that light but I think it gives a good idea of what the base colour looks like without the sparkles.  This is two coats:
Pretty_Jelly_Bullet_Rouge_Review
Application was lovely, this is my first indie polish, and I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was easily as good as any others I've tried, including the high end brands.  The formula was quite thin(ish), but opaque in one coat, however I did two to give me the depth of colour I wanted.  As you can see it self levelled nicely over my ridged nails, and dry time was medium-fast, I was very pleasantly surprised!  It reminded me alot of A-Englands formula.

But, of course, none of this is its piece de resistance.  First and foremost its main appeal is that it's a holo, and we need some better lighting to show that.  Ideally I would like to wait for a sunny day and do this properly, but as this is January in the North of England, I think we'd be waiting a while.  Therefore I've gone back to my trusty kitchen under-cabinet lights, and we'll just have to imagine a lovely sunny day instead:
Pretty_Jelly_Bullet_Rouge_Swatch
Pretty eh?  As I mentioned, this is two coats, over a regular base coat and no top coat.  As much as I love looking at super duper swatches that make polishes look awesome, I'd like my swatches to accurately represent as best I can what you can expect if you buy this polish and get it home.  Too many times I've been disappointed by a polish, because I've bought it on the back of a swatch which probably had aqua base, four coats of colour, and Seche Vite on the top.

Because I can't get enough of the holo loveliness, here's another pic:
Pretty Jelly Glamorous Thief Bullet Rouge Review
There is more holo to this in real life than shown in these pics, my camera just didn't want to pick it up.  The brush was quite thin, which was strange to work with after all the pro-wide brushes out there at the moment, but it didn't hamper the application in any way.
 
So me being me, then I wanted to do some nail art over it.  I've re-found my mojo for stamping lately, so I got my plates out:
Pretty Jelly Glamorous Thief Bullet Rouge Nail Art
I used Konad special polish in black for the stamping.  The bows are from Konad plate M59, and the hibiscus on my accent finger are from Bundle Monster plate BM-318.  I didn't get the bows on straight, but they are a definite improvement on my past efforts to line stamps up so I must be learning something.  I kind of wish I'd done the flowers on all the nails because I really like how they came out, but I'll try that another day. 
 
Heres another pic, I'll make this the last one, I promise!
Pretty_Jelly_Glamorous_Thief_Bullet_Rouge_Review
You can buy these polishes by going to the Liquid Jelly website HERE the full size bottles like the one I got are $10.
 
The polishes are 3-free and cruelty free, so you can shop with a clear conscience.
 
I also have the other three colours from this collection to swatch, so watch this space!
 
Are holos amongst your favourites too, or do you prefer glitter for your bling fix?  What do you think of this one?  If you have any polishes similar to this, I'd be intrigued to hear about them, I don't think I could ever have too many.
 
Until next time...
 
MASPOOASE x x x
~Wendy~

5 comments:

  1. Oooh I love this colour, so pretty! Never heard of this brand but I'll need to have a look :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty! Actually I thought of you as soon as I saw it was cruelty free x x x

      Delete
  2. I love this. So glad I was able order it or you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wes! I will be eternally grateful x x x

      Delete

Please feel free to comment!