Saturday 10 November 2012

OPI Alpine Snow vs OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls

Hi All!

It's Saturday and I'm off work, so happy!  Even better, the suns out, and that can only mean one thing, SWATCHES!!

This is a post I've been meaning to do for a while, then I saw that someone navigated to my site while looking for a comparison, and I felt all bad because I hadn't done it yet, and it spurred me into action.  So whoever you are, anonymous, thank you for the boot up the bum that I needed.

Looking at the two in the bottle, it's obvious why people can't decide between them:
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls vs Alpine Snow
In this, and every, picture, My Boyfriend Scales Walls is on the left, and Alpine Snow is on the right.

So lets get into it on my nails:
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls vs Alpine Snow
As you can see, Alpine Snow on the right, is ever-so-slightly brighter.  This picture is a pretty good representation of how it looks in real life, indoors but in the light from the window.

Formula wise, you can see that I had a little bubbling issue with My Boyfriend Scales Walls, I didn't have that last time I used it, perhaps I shook it a little too vigorously.  These pictures are all three coats, and I didn't need to do any clean up.

Lets have another pic.  This one's in the sunlight:
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls vs Alpine Snow
I think this one shows the shine nicely.  You can see on my index finger that My Boyfriend Scales walls shows more shine than Alpine Snow.

One last pic of it on my nails, this one in the shade:
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls vs Alpine Snow
Getting back to the formula, they are slightly different.  I prefer the formula of My Boyfriend Scales Walls, because it's less self deleting than Alpine Snow, and it seems to self level better.  Also, I'm pretty sure I had to add some thinner to my Alpine Snow when I first got it to make it more cooperative. 

Brushwise, theres not much in it.  If I HAD to chose between them, My Boyfriend Scales Walls brush is a tiny bit better, you can see the difference between the formulas quite well in this next pic, look at the difference in how each polish clings to the brush:
OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls vs Alpine Snow
The coating on the brush is denser on Alpine Snow (right), and that gives you a pretty good idea about the application.

They both needed the three coats for perfect coverage, dry time was identical and medium/fast. 

I would actually say that this is the one time where I'm happy to own both, even though they're so similar, as they both have their place in my collection.  Alpine snow where I need a bright white, especially for nail art and dotting, and My Boyfriend Scales Walls for all over nice shiny and level nails.

But, if you can't afford both, and so I absolutely have to pick, I would say to choose My Boyfriend Scales Walls, as it's a bit more versatile.  I bought both of mine from Amazon and paid about £7.50 each.

So there you go, comparison done, I hope you liked it!

Until next time....

MASPOOASE x x x
~Wendy~

10 comments:

  1. I think I need one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need a full coverage white... i had alpine years ago when i used to paint french (that word is a swear word to me now!... how things change!) so i think that's what puts me off... i associate it with a french mani. i need to get boyfriend scales walls i think. this is the second post of urs now where ive decided i need it x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! If you need a full coverage white, that's the one I'd recommend x x x

      Delete
  3. Great Comparison! I really need to find a bottle of MBSW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean by 'self deleting'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean that, when you go over one coat with another, you can sometimes remove the lower coat with the new coat. I hope i'm making sense, i'm not sure I explained it very well! :-)

      Delete
  5. This article maybe a bit old but nice review and it help me to decide what to choose :D

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I helped you decide! You made my blog post worthwhile, thank you x x x

      Delete

Please feel free to comment!