Friday 19 April 2013

Spring Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

Hi everyone,

The sun is feeling warm, and it looks like spring is finally here, thank goodness.  It's made me feel all happy and full of the joys of spring, and I really wanted my nails to match my mood.

So off I went to YouTube, looking for inspiration.  Sure enough, I found a fab tutorial by simplyrins (link) which showed me how to do sunflowers, just what I was looking for!  It's been a while since I used my acrylic paints, and I've missed them.

I changed the colour scheme and layout to hers, but I used exactly the same method.  Here's what I ended up with, in a spring-y pose:
Buds on the bushes!  Hooray!

So here's how I did it.  I'd already done my left hand, so this tutorial is 'wrong handed'.  Therefore it's safe to say that a beginner could definitely give it a go, as even my weaker hand came out looking pretty good.

1) Base colour.  Maybelline Express Finish in Turquoise Lagoon, 2 coats,  It did dry super fast too:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

2) Use yellow acrylic paint (or nail polish) and a small brush to mark out your first row of petals, using a single stroke per petal.  It doesn't matter if they're not perfect, nature's not:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

3) Carry on making petals in the same way until you're happy with the look:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

4) Do the same on all your fingers, in the layout of your choice.  If you're using acrylic paint you can erase any mistakes with a cotton bud/q-tip soaked with water:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

5) Use brown acrylic paint (or nail varnish) to fill in the flower centre:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

6) Continue with all your nails:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

7) Now you could stop there if you like and it would still look good, but for that extra special finishing touch you can make tiny yellow dots, using a small dotter, over the brown to give some dimension and detail to the  flower centres:
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

8) Just add your topcoat, and you're done!
Sunflower Nailart Tutorial

So there we have it, jolly spring nails to be proud of. 
I like this design so much I've done both hands, and am going to keep it on, which is a big thumbs up from me.  Just right for this time of year. 
 
In case you're wondering, I got my acrylic paints nice and cheap from Amazon (link) 12 colours for £6.81, bargain, and they seem like pretty good quality.
 
So what do you think, could you give this a go?  Make sure you show me if you do!
 
Until next time...
 
MASPOOASE x x x
~Wendy~

12 comments:

  1. I was thinking of doing something similar this week on my nails, but with red flowers. great job on the flowers! Looks pretty ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would look brilliant in red! Looking forward to seeing them x x x

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Inky! I was pleased with my nails for a change haha

      Delete
  3. Awww my god they are so incredibly cute! They look amazing, fair play to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was sad when I had to take them off for work, but at least I know I can do them again :)

      Delete
  4. your sunflowers look fantastic! love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully you'll give them a go x x x

      Delete
  5. i'm not an acrylic fan but this is stunning! really my style, well made and love the idea, subject and colours, should totally try it, i'm a flowered designs girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please show me if you do it, I'd love to see! Thank you so much x x x

      Delete

Please feel free to comment!