Monday 24 December 2012

Christmas Nail Art Challenge - Day 11 - Tinsel

Happy Christmas Eve!

I'm off work at last hooray!  This morning was my last shift until the New Year, so I'm very happy about that!

I dodged the elves challenge.  I was completely uninspired by it, and I didn't want to sell my blog short by just bodging something in order to have something to post, so I just didn't do it.  It's a shame to not have done them all, but there you go, that's life sometimes.  There are some manis from this challenge I've been really pleased with, and others I wouldn't have ordinarily put on my blog in a million years, but it's definitely been an experience, and I'm glad I've taken part.  After this one there's only Santas left for tomorrow.  Hopefully I can get that painted up and prepared today, because I'll be out most of the day tomorrow doing my own Santa duties. Ho Ho Ho!

Tinsel as a challenge can only really mean one thing - bar glitter.  Luckily for me that means not much decision making because I've only got one bar glitter, a £2.50 silver holo one from Claires Accessories.  I've found Claires polishes to be a bit hit and miss, so I thought I would double up this nail art post with a review of this polish.

Firstly I thought I would try it over a range of colours, so I used 2 coats of each:
White - OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls reviewed here
Black - L'Oreal Color Riche in Black Swan
Red - Maybelline Express Finish Cherry Red shown here
Silver - Jessica Hologram Chic Disco Diva reviewed here

Here's how it looks in all its Christmassy glory:
This is two coats of the bar glitter with a color club top coat.  Dry time was medium.  I found that I only got a decent amount of glitter onto my nail if I put the brush back in the bottle and gave it a good shake for each nail.  Just dipping the brush back in the bottle without shaking it meant I just seemed to get clearcoat and not glitter.  I also moved it around a bit on my nail as just brushing it on made all the bars face one way and that made my nails look hairy, which is the bar glitter look I hate.

The holo isn't as wow in ordinary indoor light, but it is still there:
But outdoors in daylight it really comes into its own:
If you want a really smooth finish to this you will need at least two coats of top coat, or perhaps one thick coat of Seche.  With one coat of normal top coat I could still feel texture there.

I'm quite surprised because I thought I would like this best over black, but in fact it looks best over the most similar colour, the silver.  I think this is probably because I'm not that mad on the bar glitter look anyway, and to just get that bling of mad holo is much more 'me'.

I also liked it over the white, it was quite a futuristic look.  Am considering the silver for New Years Eve, I think it would be quite fitting and fun.

And there we have it, I hope it was tinselly enough for you!

Until next time...

MASPOOASE x x x
~Wendy~

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty!
    Happy Christmas eve! :)
    Hope you have a very merry Christmas tomorrow
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you do too x x x

      Delete
  2. Love these nail colors especially the red one. Love the idea. Great job on these manis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not a top coat I've used much, but I might now! x x x

      Delete
  3. Very nice!

    FYI: I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Go here to find out what's what: http://www.inkywhiskersmusings.blogspot.com/2012/12/ive-been-nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know bar glitter can look hairy LOL. This looks great though! I love how you did the different colors so we can see how they all look with the tc. Great job !

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!