Tuesday 5 February 2013

Valentines Nail Art - Ideas for short nails

Hi there,

Here I am again, have had a day off work today for a dentists appointment, so managed to get some cheeky mid-week nailart in.  I can't wait until summer when I get enough light at night to let me post more than just at the weekends!

My index nail finally gave up the ghost, it got a big dent in the weak bit, so I've had to file all the other nails down to match.  In a way it's a relief, because I was fed up of babying it along, and now it can grow back nice and strong again.

Also, it's given me a chance to show you that nail art isn't only for long nails! 

I specifically haven't included any stamping here, because I think there'll probably be alot of that around at the moment.  I actually saw some stamping sets in Claires Accessories today, so if you don't want to buy from the internet, then you can pop to Claire's to pick one up.  There was only a choice of 3 plates, but knowing Claire's, they'll improve that if they sell enough kits.  I think they were £9.00 (or maybe £12).  I don't see them on their website yet.

I've tried to do a few different designs, to hopefully get your creative juices going, I know what it's like when you just have a bleugh day, you look at your polishes and no mojo... 

I start with a semi-fail.  I found a new shop in carlisle called Fun-2-Do, which has all craft stuff in it.  They do have a website, HERE but not every item in the shop is on the site.  So anyway, I was in there, and I saw some table confetti, it was little red hearts and they looked like they'd be good for nail art.  I've also think I've seen them on Amazon HERE but I can't be definite they're exactly the same ones.

So I used them in my nail art and....Easy-Valentines-Nail-Art
Oh no! They bleeeeedddd.... This is not good, I have a BIG bag of these!  So I had to come up with something.  The red I used is China Glaze Ruby Pumps, how pretty is it?!  Two coats here.  It reminds me so much of juicy strawberry jam.  The pink is OPI Mod About You.  You're going to see alot of that pink in this post, as it's my number one light pink.  On my thumb I taped off to do the lines, but on the rest of the fingers I decided that was too much hassle, and just freehanded.  A top coat of seche which was intended to make it look prettier haha.

I did do another look, that I decided not to go with, but I managed to topcoat it without bleeding it:
Easy Valentines Nail Art
For that look I used Color Club polishes Antiquated and Hot Like Lava from their Foiled Metallics collection.

What I decided to do was to try to take the colour off them with polish remover.  Initially I put some in a freezer bag with some polish remover.  The idea was to swish them about a bit, rinse them off, et voila!  Nice clean non-bleedy hearts.  It didn't quite work out, the bag leaked, I lost a load while I was rinsing them, and all in all it was more hassle than it was worth. 

It was much easier to give them a rub with a cotton pad dipped in polish remover one by one.  Yes it seems like it might take longer, but actually it's not too bad.

So now I have silver hearts instead of red.  So I have to come up with a new colour scheme.  This is what I went with:
Valentines Nailart OPI Mod About You
I messed up a bit, as I made the index finger stripe too thin, but hey, we're just experimenting here!  The polishes I used were OPI Mod About You (I told you that you'd see it alot) for the light pink, and the darker pink is Nails Inc's Bruton Street.  Both have lovely formulas and are topped off with Seche.  I could have done with another coat of Seche really, because by the end of the day I'd lost a few hearts.

So these looks I actually did last weekend, and today I did another one.  Well, it's two into one really, because there's step one, which is one look, and step two which is different....  I'll just get on with it shall I...

So, because I didn't get my tooth mended at the dentist (had to make another appointment, as it was apparently just a check up appointment that time, sigh), I thought I would go shopping to cheer myself up.  And SOMEHOW found my way into Fun-2-Do again.  I found some more hearts, and thought I would take a chance.  These were the ones I got, they cost me £1.50:
Now, I couldn't find these on their website, or anywhere else for that matter, but as soon as I got home I tested them, and HOORAY they don't bleed!  Typically of me though, I decided not to use the red ones today haha.  I went for the gold ones, and a Butter London polish called Fiddlesticks that I bought before Christmas and havent used yet.

I thought I'd keep it clean and simple:
This does have a coat of Seche over it, as it dries to a matt-ish sheen.  It's got a very similar glitter feel to ruby pumps, only much more magenta.  Think raspberry jam instead of strawberry.  Also here you can see how short my index nail is now.

Here's another pic as I loved this look so much:
Butter_London_Nail_Art
This look worked really well in low light, as the hearts picked up any bit of light and flashed brightly every time I moved my hands.

Then of course, I got bored of being understated and stylish.

So I made another look with it:
Easy_Valentines_Nailart
To do this, all I did was used a ring reinforcer to mask off the top of my nail, I got mine from Amazon link HERE but you can buy them from lots of places.  I then used my Color Club pink striper, also from Amazon, to draw some stripes on the ends of my fingers.  I started with the middle stripe and worked my way out to try to get them even.  I messed up one stripe on my little finger, but I think this look turned out be pretty, and perfectly demonstrates that short nails don't have to be boring.

And I STILL wasn't finished!  I had one more idea.  I got my trusty Mod About You out, and Nails Inc's Devonshire Row.  The two went so well together, but what to do?  Then I realised I hadn't done any dotty looks yet, so I got out my dotter and away I went.

This is what I ended up with:
Dotty Nail Art
Now the heart on my middle finger didn't come out exactly how I wanted, but you can still tell what it is, so that's ok.   I topped it off with a coat of Seche.  As you can probably tell I was starting to lose the light by this time.  Probably a better represtentation of the colours is in this picture:
Valentines_Nail_art
So there you see, on short nails and still pretty.  I actually really like these two colours together, and they are going on my 'do this again' list.

And that's it!  Which is your favourite?  I think mine is the Butter London stripy one, but the dots come a close second. 

Have you got any nailart planned for Valentines?  Hopefully if you've been stuck for ideas I've given you a bit of inspiration.  Please feel free to recreate any of these looks if you like them, and if you do, please give me a shout, I'd love to see!

Until next time...

MASPOOASE x x x
~Wendy~

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I always think of your manicures when I see stripes. Bleeding is a nightmare, a lot of my manicure beads discolour very quickly. Apparently Born Pretty is the business, I must check them out, but don't need the temptation to spend! Lovely stuff, though our definitions of short nails are clearly very different :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I must be getting a signature look haha! There is a load of stuff on Born Pretty, but it took aaages to come so you have to have some patience too! I haven't done any beads yet, if I lost even one the whole thing would bug me haha

      Delete
  3. I love them all, bummer the glitter bled, but you managed to turn that frown upside down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like them! I hate wasting anything, thats why my house is a mess haha

      Delete
  4. Me likey! You took a bleeding heart & made a love story out of it...brilliant! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thats a lovely way of thinking about it, thanks! xxx

      Delete
  5. Wow you did so many great designs!! That really sucks about the bleeding hearts!! I love that Butter London colour!! So darn gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely! Idon't know why I took so long to get around to trying it out. Glad you liked it! x x x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really beautiful! Ruby pumps needs to make a reappearance on my nails, you remind me how beautiful it is. I was just thinking of a red manicure, and that is a top candidate for Valentines, well played! : D

    The hearts are absolutely adorable, all of them and the dotted one is especially beautiful. You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! For some reason I had alot of inspiration this year, and wanted to share the love! You so need to get your Ruby Pumps out, yours will look a heck of a lot better than the car crash that mine was lol! x x x

      Delete
  8. Loving ur notds.. Following u xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a brilliant blog too, you're nearly at 1000 GFC followers, wow! One closer now x x x

      Delete

Please feel free to comment!